Trouble viewing images? Click on images to enlarge.
VDM is capable of connecting to multiple databases when building a View; referred to as Multiple Data Sources or MDS. Prior to creating a View that leverages Multiple Data Sources or VoV Joined Datasets, you must setup a local SQL Express installation.
Steps For Setting Up MDS
Important Note: You will need access to login to the SQL Instance. If you do/will not have access to the account installing SQL Express, please check out our article for creating additional logins here.
1. Download Microsoft SQL Server Express here.
2. Complete the install steps for a "Basic" installation and accept the defaults.
3. Record the SQL Express Instance details listed on the installation summary screen as it will be needed to create a Connection Profile:
4. After the SQL Server Express installation has been completed successfully, click on Database and select New from the Ribbon Bar inside VDM.
5. Create a new Microsoft SQL Connection with Prefix Enabled and define the Server, Instance and Database settings. Make sure you have your login created and enter the credentials, if you do not have your login, see our article for creating additional logins here.
6. Once the profile has been created, tested and verified go to Settings and set MDS SQL Database to the newly created profile.