VDM offers some assistance for users migrating from Crystal Reports to VDM.
To migrate a Crystal Report you must:
- Install both the 32-bit and 64-bit SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .Net framework MSI. Both downloads are available here .
VDM's migration process brings over the following Crystal Report objects to VDM:
- Report Tables and Fields
- Record Selection (Filter Statement)
- Linking and Joins
- Report Design and Layout
- Report Sections
- Formulas/Calculated Fields (in Crystal Syntax)
- Formulas/Calculated fields come over into the Finished Report in Crystal Syntax and will need to be manually translated to VDM syntax.
What Does not Migrate?
VDM does not migrate the following Crystal Report objects, if they exist, and will need to be manually added after the migration:
- Sub Reports
- Fields formats for Currency, Numeric and Dates
- Launch VDM and connect to the database connection profile being used by Crystal Reports
- Click Open from the Ribbon Bar and browse to the Crystal Report. Click the Open button to select.
- By default VDM will bring in the Tables, Fields, Filters, Parameters and Linking. You will be prompted to bring the graphical elements of the Crystal Report into Finished Reports. Choose Yes or No.
- Review the Report Fields under the Tables and Field's control and make any needed adjustments or corrections.
- Review the Filter Statement under FSGS and make any needed adjustments to conform with VDM/SQL syntax.
- Review Linking and if any adjustments are needed it is recommended you click "Clear Links" and manually link the tables.
- Review Parameters and make any needed adjustments or corrections.
- Click Run View from the Ribbon Bar and review the query results in the Details Grid.
- Next, click the Finished Reports Designer from the Ribbon bar. Review the Finished Report and make any needed adjustments to Sub Reports, Images, Charts, Field Formats and Formulas/Calculated Fields.
- Click Preview to review the migrated report, and then the Save button to save the report in VDM format.
Our goal with the Crystal Reports Migration process is to offer users and path from Crystal Reports to VDM for simple to moderate reports. Depending on the complexity of your Crystal Report you will see varying degrees of success with your migration. BridgeWorks does not provide support or assistance for Crystal Reports.