The Auto Scheduler has a windows service component that can be installed on a Windows Server or Workstation. The Report Automation Service enables scheduled jobs to run without the need to have the server or workstation logged in, VDM open and the Auto Scheduler feature enabled.
The Report Automation Service will require a local Windows or Active Directory account with full permissions to the VDM Installation path, its directories, and the job export locations. If the account does not have the proper permissions the service will be unable to open, execute and export scheduled jobs. If the account's password is set to expire or changes, the service will need to be updated or scheduled jobs will fail.
All Auto Scheduler jobs setup to export to a network location or network share must be configured to use a UNC path. Jobs configured to export to a mapped network drive will fail.
The Report Automation Service will check for and execute any qualifying job every 60 seconds. Please note that the execution time within the scheduled minute may vary depending on when the Report Automation Service was started.
Report Automation Service Installation Steps
Please complete the following steps to install the Report Automation Service:
- Download the Report Automation Service here.
- Browse to your VDM Installation directory and create a new folder called Service. The default VDM installation path is C:\Program Files (x86)\BridgeWorks VDM\
- Extract the contents of ASService.zip to the VDM Installation\Service\ folder.
- Open the AutoScheduler.exe.config file with a Text editor, like notepad, and update the following values:
- JobsDirectory: The location of your .vdmas Auto Scheduler Files.
- Executable: The location of the VDM64.exe executable on your server or workstation.
- DefaultConnection: The Database Connection Profile that VDM will use as the default for the scheduler service. This Database Connection Profile will be used if the Auto Scheduler job does not have a defined Connection Profile.
When completed your config file should look similar to the image below:
- Next, open the Windows Command Prompt as Administrator. Right Click on command and select Run as Administrator.
- Paste in the following Command and execute: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\BridgeWorks VDM\Service\AutoScheduler.exe"
- After the command is executed a message will indicate if the service was installed successfully.
- Launch the Windows Services snap-in, locate the Report Automation Service and double-click on the service to edit the properties.
- Click on the Log On tab and set the Account and Password to a Local Windows or Active Directory Account that has full permissions to the VDM Installation path, its directories, and the export locations for the Auto Scheduler jobs.
- Click on the General tab and set the Startup Type to Automatic and click the Start button to start the service.
- Verify the Report Automation Service is running
- Job success and failures can be monitored using the Logs feature within the VDM Application.