Trouble viewing images? Click on images to enlarge.
The Ribbon Bar provides access to the various menu items within the VDM Platform
Ribbon Display Options
- Auto-hide Ribbon: Hides the Ribbon. Click at the top of the application to show.
- Show Tabs: Shows the Ribbon tabs only. Click a tab to show the commands.
- Show Tabs and Commands: Shows Ribbon tabs and commands all the time.
Database Ribbon Bar
- New: Launches the Connection Wizard to create a new Connection Profile.
- Load All: Loads all Connection Profiles into Tables and Fields.
- Edit: Launches the Connection Wizard to edit and existing Connection Profile.
- Manage View Connections: Allows views with multiple Connection Profiles to mapped to other Connection Profiles.
- New: Create a new View.
- Open: Open an existing View.
- Save: Save the View that is currently open.
- Save As: Save the View that is currently opened with a new name.
- Save with Data: Save the View file and embed the View’s data.
- Save Encrypted: Saves the View in an encrypted format so it cannot be accessed by anyone outside your organization and cannot be read/edited within a text editor.
- Recent: Displays recently opened Views.
- Run View: Runs the View that is currently open.
- Insights: Launches Insights, a single point of access for Grids, Charts, Finished Reports and Visualizations that allows you to access data from any date and time.
- Finished Reports: Launches Finished Reports, a professional report writing feature.
- Visualize Designer: Launches Visualize Designer, a profession data visualization feature.
- Calendar: Opens the Calendar section of the Scheduler allowing the creating and editing of scheduled jobs.
- Job: Opens the Job setup page allowing the creation/editing of jobs that can be leveraged on the Calendar or in a Master Job.
- Master Job: Launches the Master Job editor for creating batches of Views to run in queue and on demand.
- Abort Search: Aborts a View that is currently being executed.
View Options Ribbon
- Client Side Grouping: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: The View’s Grouping and Summaries items are aggregated in-app (on the local PC) and not on the database.
- Disabled: the View’s Grouping and Summary items will be sent to the database for evaluation and processing.
- Client Side Sorting: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: The View’s Sorting items are performed in-app (on the local PC) and not on the database.
- Disabled: The View’s Sorting items will be sent to the database for evaluation and processing.
- Select Distinct: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: VDM will only return unique rows of data and will ignore any duplicates. For a row of data to be unique EVERY field in a given row would need to be an exact match of another.
- Disabled: VDM will return all data delivered from the database for the current View.
- Summary Only: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: VDM will not deliver the Views detail data and will only return aggregated data to the Summary grid. Enabling this feature will disable Client Side grouping.
- Disabled: VDM will deliver the Views detail data as well as any aggregated data that is defined at the Group and Summary levels.
- View SQL Query: Displays the SQL query, based on the View’s configuration, that VDM is sending to the database.
- Select Top Records: Adds Top X syntax to the SQL query, limiting the number of records returned (not supported with all databases).
- Database Functions: Features for specific databases.
- Native SQL - This makes it so VDM can leverage "native" SQL features that are not accessible in Universe otherwise.
- Use Table Alias: Allows a table alias defined inside the Linking to be used in the query in place of the actual table name.
- Embed Expressions: Applied at the View Level
- Embedded Expressions allows an Expression, used within a View, to be saved and stored in the VDM View file. This greatly simplifies the sharing of Views, containing expressions, with your colleagues.
- Replace Numeric Nulls: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: VDM will replace null values with a numeric data type with 0.
- Disabled: VDM will return null values for numeric data types.
- Expandable Excel Groups: Applied at the View Level
- Enabled: VDM will show expandable grouping when a data grid is exported to Excel.
- Disabled: VDM will not show expandable grouping when a data grid is exported to Excel.
- Default Control: Defines the default control that will receive focus once the View has returned results.
- Skins: Changes the look and feel of VDM.
- No Preview: Exports the data directly to the selected output without a preview.
- Preview: Exports the data to VDM’s export preview feature.
- Multi-Sheet: Exports the Details, Summary, Basic Chart and Totals to a multi-sheet document.
- Details: Exports the Details.
- Summary: Exports the Summary.
- Chart: Exports the Chart.
- Forum: Direct link to the BridgeWorks forum. A place for Report Writers and Developers to share their ideas, techniques and ask questions.
- News: Get the latest updates on VDM.
- About: Shows the current version of VDM.
- View Release Notes: View the notes on each version of VDM.
- Register: Used to register VDM’s installation and license for the workstation.
- Support: Launches the VDM support website.
- Auto Updater: Launches VDM’s automated update/upgrade processes and is used to keep your VDM installation current.