Trouble seeing the images? Right click on images and open in new tab to enlarge or zoom in on the page (Ctrl + mousewheel).
Article Goal: Create a connection profile leveraging the API Key for users with the API role / functionality in WebReports.
In this article we are going to cover the steps to create a connection profile in VDM using the API key.
- The API Key is used to authenticate your application requests to the WebReports API.
- You will only see the API Key once. It will need to be securely stored for future use.
IMPORANT NOTE: In order to leverage API keys for VDM connection profiles, you must set the APISettings: AllowAPIKeysForVDM to "true" inside your WebReports appsettings.json file.
If your appsettings file does not have the "APISettings" section, you will need to add it. Please keep in mind if you add the "APISettings" section into your appsettings at the end of the file you will not want to include the comma at the end (the comma separates additional properties inside the appsettings and would result in an invalid file format).
Appsettings.json configuration for enabling user-centric API keys
Where Do You Create a WebReports Connection Profile?
You can create a WebReports connection in VDM by clicking the New button when on the Database ribbon bar. Once in the connection wizard, select the WebReports connection type.
Steps To Create a WebReports Connection Profile Using the API Key.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Will not work with Active Directory
1. Open VDM
2. Click on the Database ribbon bar.
3. Click the New button.
Alternate: Right click on an existing WebReports connection and click Edit.
4. Select the WebReports Connection Type.
5. Enable / Check the Use API Key box.
6. Enter your WebReports URL, and WebReports Value.
7. Enter the Application Name (created when creating the API key).
8. Enter the API Key (displayed when creating the API key).
10. Test the connection to verify all fields have been entered correctly.
11. Click the Refresh List button to populate the Connection Profile list.
12. Select the desired connection to use for the connection profile.
13. Save the connection (click next / finish). Then verify you can select fields / get results.